[Warlock] [Affliction/Demo] Warlock Leveling - Talents and Tips (1-80)
For Patch 3.0+, focused on WARLOCK gameplay!
Table of content:
- What's the best leveling spec?
- Abilities and Rotations
This is a guide which will tell which talents are the best to choose while leveling, also what rotation you should do, what gear boosts you should be focusing on and some general tips.
2. What's the best leveling spec?
The best leveling spec for the warlock is Affliction. This is because of it's the most mana efficient tree there is, and focuses on your DoTs. Demonology becomes the best 50+, and I've shown that in this guide.
3. The spec:
10 - 14:
Improved Corruption - 5/5
15 - 16:
Improved Life Tap - 2/2
17 - 18:
Soul Siphon - 2/2
19 - 20:
Improved Drain Soul - 2/2
21 - 23:
Fel Concentration - 3/3
Improved Curse of Agony - 1/2
25 - 27:
Suppression - 3/3
28 - 29:
Nightfall - 2/2
Siphon Life - 1/1
Improved Curse of Agony - 2/2
32 - 34:
Empowered Corruption - 3/3
35 - 39:
Shadow Mastery - 5/5
Dark Pact - 1/1
41 - 45:
Contagion - 5/5
46 - 47:
Improved Howl of Terror - 2/2
48 - 49:
Malediction - 2/3
At level 50, Respec to Demonology, using the following build.
Demonic Embrace - 5/5
Improved Health Funnel - 2/2
Demonic Brutality - 3/3
Fel Vitality - 3/3
Soul Link - 1/1
Fel Domination - 1/1
Demonic Aegis - 3/3
Unholy Power - 5/5
Master Summoner - 2/2
Master Demonologist - 5/5
Demonic Empowerment - 1/1
Demonic Resilience - 3/3
Demonic Knowledge - 3/3
Demonic Tactics - 1/5
Fel Synergy - 2/2
Summon Felguard - 1/1
At this point, your Felguard becomes your new pet through level 80!
51 - 52:
Improved Healthstone - 2/2
53 - 54:
Master Conjuror - 2/2
55 - 58:
Demonic Tactics - 5/5 (Should already have 1 point in this)
Suppression - 1/3
60 - 64:
Improved Shadow Bolt - 5/5
65 - 69:
Bane - 5/5
70 - 72:
Cataclysm - 3/3
73 - 77:
Ruin - 5/5
78 - 79:
Destructive Reach - 2/2
Devastation - 1/1
4. Abilities and Rotations
Always take the weapon with the best stats
1 - 9:
- Keep Demon Skin up.
- Get your Imp no later than level 4.
- Until you get Immolate and Corruption, spam Shadow Bolt.
Rotation: Immolate, Send in Imp while casting Corruption, Shadow Bolt or Wand to death. At level 8, Start rotation with Curse of Agony.
10 - 19:
- Keep Demon Skin Up.
- Use your Voidwalker.
- Use Drain Soul when you need Soul Shards.
- Wait 3 seconds after your Voidwalker begins attacking a mob to start the rotation.
-Life Tap when needed.
- Drain Life when needed.
Rotation: Send in Voidwalker. Curse of Agony, Corruption, Immolate, Life Tap(optional)Drain Life(if needed), Drain Soul.
20 - 29:
- Replace Demon Skin with Demon Armor.
- Use Any pet you feel good with.
- Life Tap and Drain Life when needed.
Rotation: Immolate and Send in Pet, Corruption, Curse of Agony, Drain Soul.
30 - 39
- Get your free mount!
- Continue using Any pet you like.
- Drain Life, Life Tap when needed.
- If you feel Imp has more DPS, go ahead and use him.
Rotation: Same as above.
40 - 49
- Use either Voidwalker or Felhunter, your own preference.
- Everything else, same as above.
- Use Shadow Bolt if Nightfall procs.
- For Voidwalkers, have them attack right away.
- For Felhunters, send them in after Immolate.
Rotation: Immolate, Corruption, Siphon Life, Curse of Agony, Shadow Bolt(if Nightfall procs), Drain Soul, Dark Pact.
50 - 80
- At 62, switch to Fel Armor.
- From 50+, I'm not sure about a DEFINITE rotation, but you basically want to put all your dots on the mobs you are facing.
- I use a Felguard through these last 30 levels.
My rotation these last few levels(definitely not the best): Immolate, Curse of Agony, Corruption, Drain Life, Drain Soul.
You should probably by now understand what DoTs are and that they are your main damage dealing abilities. So any rotation you feel good with is fine.
NOTE - This build is for leveling, not raids/dungeons, consider respeccing!
Anyhow, if you choose to go with it, the Affliction DPS rotation for 80 instances is: Haunt, Curse of Agony, Corruption, Unstable Affliction, Siphon Life, Shadow Bolt.
I have not seen a good Demonology rotation yet, but keep your ears open.
- Make sure you start with around 10 Soul Shards.
- Give a Soul Stone to one of the healers.
- I could rant on with a ton of stuff, but I'm just going to say, read this.
- Carry 5 - 7 Soul Shards with you at all times. Delete excess stones.
- Don't waste a bag slot on a Soul Bag. You won't ever have enough SS's to worry about it.
- Just heal yourself with Drain Life when you need to heal.
- Bandages help as well.
- Like mentioned in the rotations, keep up Demon Skin/ Demon Armor/ Fel Armor
- Life Tap when low on mana.
- The best options are Skinning/Mining, they make lots of money, especially with the Death Knights wanting to go Blacksmithing.
In the following order: Spell Hit(Until capped) > Spell Power > Spell Haste > Spell Crit > Stamina > Intellect.
There are various opinions on the topic, but most Warlocks I know go generally by this.
Here I will eventually put some gear down you can get while leveling. But for now I don't have the time.
Major Glyphs(Thanks kirby for these.)
With Glyph of Corruption, when Shadow Trance procs, cast a Shadow Bolt
DoTimer - A handy mod for managing your DoTs and rotation.(thanks to kirby for this aswell)
Necrosis - shard management(since with improved Drain Soul you'll want to get 14% FREE MANA from EVERY MOB YOU FIGHT, who can really pass that up, and who wants to delete all those stupid shards?) it also offers warnings about unfearable mobs, and audible warnings about your soulstone expiring, and nightfall procs, it also makes it a lot easier to keep a healthstone on hand, and as a affliction lock, you'll also likely want to keep a spellstone up now that Wrath made them halfway decent. Also, Necrosis has a DoTimer like feature for tracking how long your dots have left. In my eyes it totally mitigates any need for DoTimer as a lock. - Nicely put, deveyus!
Thanks to Everyone who added things while this was a wiki page, and thanks to Jame for WoW-Pro, of course!