[Hunter][Raiding] Survival Hunter
Survival Hunter Raiding Guide
Table of Contents
With patch 3.08 the Survival Spec has become the new maximum dps build for aspiring hunters everywhere. I will show you what stats to reach for, what builds to use, how to use the rotation effectively and more. First off the Talent build.
There is a lot of flexibility in the Survival Tree, being that there is no set cookie-cutter build. However there are some core talents that you must take. They are in this talent build.
You will notice that there are 6 points to spare, and you will have to decide for yourself based upon your gear where to spend them. You should be aiming to have Haste and Hit Rating at these values:
- 10% Unbuffed Haste
- 8% Hit Rating
- Requiring Hit Rating: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=cZceVo0hZe00iocIhxdAh0u
- Need Haste: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=coZMeVo0hZe00iocIhxdAh0u
As a Survival Hunter you will find that some stats you are looking for are different than that for the Beast Mastery Talent build. Here are some key points on each stat.
Level 80 Stat Conversion
- 1 agi = 1.15 ap .012% crit
- 1 ap = 1ap
- 1 stam = .3 ap
- 1 int = 1 ap 15 mana
First of all, you will want to be aiming to have:
- 10% Haste
Scales with Lightning Reflexes and helps your Expose Weakness, and unlike Attack Power boosts your Crit Percentage.
Critical Strike Rating
It increases the uptime of Expose Weakness and Hunting Party and increases your Pets focus regeneration, as well as giving you mana back with Thrill of the Hunt.
Now scales, still gives your pet 22% of your Attack Power.
Careful Aim gives 1 AP per 1 Intellect Point. And to Quote Elitist Jerks:
More Int means a higher manapool, thus a higher return from the ReplenishmentBuff that Hunting Party lends and a higher return when in AotViper, thus less time spent in AotViper.
The Survival Hunter's rotation is extremely straightforward, but requires more attention due to Lock and Load procs. This is the first Standard Rotation:
SERPENT STING --> EXPLOSIVE SHOT --> SS x3
(Remember to only cast Serpent Sting on the first Rotation and then again when it wears off.)
What to do when Lock and Load procs?
EXPLOSIVE --> EXPLOSIVE --> EXPLOSIVE
(You must wait untill atleast 2 of the DoT ticks from Explosive Shots go before firing your next Shot)
Now continue with the Regular Rotation.
3rd slot - Only 2 decent choices.
Hunters Mark - Huge boost to the AP, works extremely well when you are specced into Improved Hunter's Mark as other hunters and you get more AP.
Improved Aspect of the Hawk - Only get if you havent points in the talent, helps you get 1.5 second Steady Shots.
- Inscription bought with Sons of Hodir Rep [Greater Inscription of the Axe]
(Or the Non-Epic Variety)
1 Handed Weapon
Two Handed Weapon
This link pretty much shows you what gems for each colour, and what they are required for, far better than I could.
There are three kinds of pets. Cunning, Ferocity and Tenacity.
Viable in 10 mans for their Roar of Recovery. There are currently only two Cunning pets worth noting:
- Sporebat: Useful for their Armor Reduction if no one else has one.
- Wind Serpent: Highest DPS cunning pet.
Viable for their Call of the Wild. Can be used in conjunction with other cooldowns for a dps increase.
- Wasp: Useful for their Armor Reduction if no one else has one.
- Cat: Worthwhile for the Rake Bleed DoT.
- Wolf: Good for Furious Howl, periodic Raid AP increase.
Useless for Raiding since the Scorpid Nerf.
These are the addons I use, and what they do:
- Elkano's BuffBars: You can create a BuffBar that shows you when Lock and Load procs and how many seconds are left till it expires.
- DeadlyBossMods: Pretty much self explanitory; tells you what the Raid Boss is going to do.
- Quartz: Shows me my shot timer, cast bar, and how long is left on my Serpent Sting DoT.
- PowerAuras: Extremely versatile addon, designed for providing visual cues (auras) when you gain buffs, debuffs and many more. Very useful for shorts buffs or debuffs. You can draw into the center of the screen or wherever you want. Extremely customizable.
- Classtimer: Provides the same functionality as Power Auras. You can add pretty much anything from how long your Hunter's Mark has left up on the target, to how many seconds of Bloodlust you have left on you. Again, extremely customizable.