[Hunter] Leveling - Talents and Tips - (1-80) - Updated for 3.2
Hunter Leveling - Talent Build and Tips
Table of Contents
On the way to 80 there is one Talent Build you should use, and that is the Beast Mastery tree. This tree will focus on improving your pet, so that you can send it in and burn the mob down with ease, and it can put out solid dps in instances as well.
Note: This is the build I used to level MY hunter. This is just a guide on where you should put the talents but if you just don't like one you can always change it!
Here is the build and why you should put that there:
10-14: Endurace Training - 5/5 - This will increase your health and your pet's by a considerable amount! Remember the more health you have the more your pet so he can receive more damage!
15-17: Thick Hide - 3/3 - This will put some more armor to you and your pet
18-19: Improved Revive Pet - 2/2 - I like this talent more than Focused Fire because you spend less mana and your pet comes to life with more health. Much people will see the 2% more damage and yes that's a lot BUT kill command is needed for the 20% crit chance of the special pet abilities.Feel free to put Focused Fire if you want
20-24: Unleashed Fury - 5/5 - More damage yay!
25-29: Ferocity - 5/5 - This is a must!
30-30: Intimidation - 1/1 - Our first stun! And is a requirement for one of the best BM talents.
31-32: Bestial Discipline - 2/2 Focus regeneration for your pet=more atacks quicker
33-34: Improved Mend Pet - 2/2 - Less mana cost and a chance to clean your pet.
35-38: Frenzy - 4/5 - I really don't recommend 5/5 in this talent...Why? Simple your pet will crit a lot by this moment so he always has this buff up if you want to trade 1 point in this talent for another one. Be my guest but less than 2/5 is useless.
39-39: Aspect Mastery - 1/1 - This is a very nice talent. By this moment you will be switching to Aspect of the Viper a lot so the 10% penalty reduction is great!
40-40: Bestial Wrath - 1/1 - Yay this is the meat and potatoes of the beast master hunter!! 50% more damage for your pet plus he cannot be feared. And he grows and gets red !
41-43: Ferocius Inspiration - 3/3 - Your party and raid will love you for this beauty! All damage increased by 3%!!
44-44: Spirit Bond - 1/2 - Ok this is another "your call" talent. I really like the 1% regeneration all the time but some hunters just don't! In other times this point was for animal handler because it gives 5 expertise but no more.
45-49: Serpent's swiftness - 5/5 - This is one of the most useful talents IMHO quicker pew pew=dead mob faster
50-50: The Beast Within - 1/1 - Same as Bestial Wrath but for you!
51-53: Longevity - 3/3 - Less cooldown = More red Use it!
54-54: Invigoration - 1/2 - Yea your pet will crit enough for this talent to get paid
55-59: Kindred Spirits - 5/5 - Don't actually have to explain this right?
So here's the debate you could spend the last point in the Beast Mastery tree to tame the exotic beasts (and I recommend that you do) but its actually useless now that ALL the pets, including exotic, have been regulated. Anyway its a nice talent because you have 4 extra talent points for your pet.
60-60: Beast Mastery
Now we go into the Marksman Tree.
61-65: Lethal Shots - 5/5 - More crit for you!
66-70: Mortal Shots - 5/5 - See above
71-73: Careful Aim - 3/3 - More Ranged Attack Power period!
74-75: Go For the Throat - 2/2 - More regeneration for your pet focus!
76-80: So now were in the final lap! Just 5 levels and you reach 80. But this 5 point could be in 3 talents (5/5): Efficiency, Improved Stings or Improved Arcane Shot. Or maybe you just want to put something in the Surv tree.I leave it to your own personal choice; not because I'm lazy its more because I don't know your playstyle maybe your more big numbers and choice Imp. stings or Imp. Arcane Shot or more like me that like some less mana wasted and go for Efficiency.
Another thing if you DID NOT spend the last point in beast mastery tree; put that point in Readiness
==NOTE== At 80 I would recommend respeccing to a build that suits what you want to accomplish at end-game be it raiding, pvp or farming.
Pet of choice
Ok now that you have your talents done lets talk about the Hunter's best friend: The pet!
At level 10 you are sent to tame 3 beasts from your starting zone and by level 12 you MUST have always a pet out!
I wont tell you about the types of pets available because that would take just too long but if you want to know about this topic in specific please visit Petopia
Ok so here we go! Before patch 3.1 it was recommended to level to 32-35 and train a gorilla for his Thunderstomp, but the times has changed. Now just train one pet from the Tenacity Tree. Anyone will do the job done but some pets have some useful skills that you may want to search. But if you're like me and don't really care about the abilities just go for the most appealing pet you can find! When you find a nice pet that you like (doesn't matter if its for his skin or abilities) you're ready to rock!
*Note:I know this is a guide but I'm against the people that just follow a guide and never experience for themselves and do they own researches but hey I'm putting link to the important stuff
Ill list here some tenacity pets:
Now the rotation will be all the same until you have spend 6 talent points in YOUR pet tree to get Thunderstomp talent around 44 or so.
1-10: You do not have your pet yet, so just Serpent Sting and then melee the mob down.
Aspect of the Viper: From Level 20 onwards if you ever finding you are running low on mana, simply turn on Aspect of the Viper to quickly regain that mana.
- Hunter's Mark
- Mend PetThis maybe looks like a waste of mana in the start of the fight but the healing over time will increase your pet aggro
- Send Pet
- Serpent StingA DoT(Damage over Time) its always welcome
- Arcane shot
- By this time the mob should be dead.Feel free to try all your shots and sting but remeber to put mend pet before you send the pet
40-50: Now you have learned Volley you can use an AoE rotation to kill multiple enemies but be careful not to gain aggro, or continue to use the above rotation for single target damage.
Once your pet learn Thunderstomp the rotation changes to something like this
- Hunter's Mark
- Mend Pet
- Send the pet for a pat or a group of mobs or use Multi-Shot and wait until the pet use his Thunderstomp
- Serpent Sting all the targets
50-71: Steady Shot it took us 50 levels to get it, but we have it now. This is your new Single Target rotation: Hunter's Mark, Serpent Sting, Steady Shot until dead. (Be sure to renew Serpent Sting if it goes through the entire duration.)
71-80: Now we can train Kill Shot. Now your dps becomes even easier.
I'm not that great in pvp but i'll put some tips you may want to know about hunters in pvp.
I REALLY RECOMEND YOU TO STAY OUT OF BATTLEGROUNDS UNTIL YOU FEEL CONFIDENT WITH YOUR CLASS AND PLAYSTYLE; THE NEXT TIPS ARE MY OPINION AND WHAT I USE SO IF YOU DISLIKE THEM OR JUST DONT WANT TO USE THEM PLEASE FEEL FREE TO NOT USE THEM
- Always use Bestial Wrath: and when i mean always its always! This let you do 50% more damage and makes you inmmune to fear effects!
- Aim for cloties! it doesnt mater if youre been attacked by the plate weares try to CC them and aim for the priests, mages or warlocks! If you try to beat down a plate wearer (death knights, warrior or paladins) your wasting your time and ammo.if theres no cloties in your range try the leather ones!
- For the love of god or watherver religion you are or belive!! USE YOUR TRAPS!!! If you're in WG put slowing traps in the entrance of the tunnels or in the feet of the enemys! this make them mad!! If there are more hunters in your team try to rotate your cooldown with the traps! Its easy first you and then the other one!! Easy and there always a trap out of cooldown; if you are in AB put your nasty explosive, inmlation or your freezing trap just in the feet of the flags! this will interrupt your enemys in theri try to grab the flags!
- If you find you're self surronded; send your pet for distraction and run!!Its not coward to run for reinforcements!. If you try to engage them you'll die for sure....this just a waste of time and you dont have to suffer it.
- Help your healers and clothies!! You ARE a support class so DO YOUR JOB; i just hate that hunters that leave the cloties and go all alone to be the "superman" and when they get killed,they blame the others for not support them!
- I know you can kill tough mobs in pve but in pvp there are not AI so please by all means stay with the group
- As a principle (and all clases need to follow) is aim for the healers!! if you fin yourself tryind to break the big bad warrior in the shield...just mark the healer you will see that a lot of your teammates will focus fire the healer and when hes death you WILL see that he big bad warrior will be just another easy to break player
- Dont go with your tenacity pet to bgs! yea he can manage big stikes but in bg your enemys wont go for the pet (unless they are new people who thinks the pet is another player or someon trying to make you mad) So try to get a cat or a scorpid even a ravager its good because they attack fast enough to slow down the casters...
Note:To make a macro type /macro or in the game menu the Macro option; select a name and write down the macro move it to your action bars and your done
I used this one for my aspects
/cast[button:1]Aspect of the Hawk
/cast[button:2]Aspect of the Viper
/cast[button:3]Aspect of the Monkey
If you have more mouse buttons you may want to add them.
/use !Aspect of the Viper
This macro will turn aspect of viper when you mount up
Thanks to Tzu Iop for the macro!
Back to the top
Titan Panel: This is a very useful addon for showing your Repair Percentage and Current Repair Bill and how much Ammo you have left.
OmniCC: This addon basically adds text to items/spells that are on cooldown to indicate when they'll be ready for use once again.
MSBT: Replacement to the default scrolling battle text.
Bartender4: Highly customizable Action Bar addon. You can create custom bars for your Traps, Aspects and etc...
I like the FuBar addon instead of the Titan Panel but that's my opinion